October 20, 2011

Heart of Visayas: Cebu

Category: Travel
Location: Cebu

I’ve been going to Cebu for about 5 times now, and I’ve been thinking of recollecting my memories as to where and what landmarks and famous places I have visited.

According to wikipedia.com, there are 6 traditional landmarks for Cebu. These are:

Basilica Minore del Santo Niño
Fort San Pedro
Lapu Lapu shrine
Magellan's Cross
Magellan shrine
Cebu Taoist Temple

And yes! I have visited all these places. The sad part is I wasn't able to get pictures when I was there on some of these landmarks. 

Basilica Minore del Santo Niño

February 2011 was my first visit there. Basilica Minore del Santo Niño is known to be the oldest church in the Philippines. When you visit Cebu, it is imperative among tourist that you visit the church not just to take pictures but to visit and thank Sto. Niño, the patron saint of Cebu. My baby always take me to the church when I visit him in Cebu, but the last time I went there we we're not able to because we didn't have much time and also we went to Mama Mary in Simala.

Magellan's Cross

Me and baby @ Magellan's Cross

The Magellan's Cross is just next to Basilica Minore del Santo Niño. It is not hard to locate it. It just a small circled room with a cross in middle of it surrounded with unlighted colored candles. Also, surrounding the shrine are the candle vendors. I still don't get it why the candles are not lit and where do the older candles go. If the vendors are there for a long time, could it be that shrine must be full of stacked candles already? If someone can enlighten me, please, I’ll be very happy to know why. My first visit there was also February 2011.

Cebu Taoist Temple

Me and classmates @ Taoist Temple

This is the first landmark I’ve been to. First went there last December 2008. I can’t recall where the place is located, but it’s worth the visit there. The place is calm and relaxing. It’s my first time to visit a Taoist temple; I was so amazed with the place, the architectures and the gardens – all are great views and worth the visit. I planned to visit the place again.

Fort San Pedro

I didn't have the chance to explore everything in the site when I was there because I was too tired to check the place and our bus only took a few minutes to stop there. When we visit there last December 2008, the entrance to the fort had some paintings and items with history facts. I’m not sure if it’s the same till now.


Lapu Lapu shrine and Magellan shrine

My classmates

The place was nice for picture taking and for history fieldtrips. You can also find lots of history facts in the park. Outside the park also are vendors of native goods such as guitars, bags and accessories at a very affordable price. I bought a bracelet as a souvenir for 10 pesos back then.


I would probably check back these places and see any improvements if I have a chance. And that’s my recollection of memories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you're having a good day! :)